Amigos works with young people in Uganda providing education and vocational training in construction, among other trades. The tools donated will be used by the men and women supported by the charity, to give them the skills to help lift themselves, and their families, out of poverty.
The main objectives of the campaign were to:
- Generate 20 bulk bags filled with tools (1 per RGB branch) to be donated to Amigos
- Increase brand awareness of RGB in its trading areas
- Drive both trade and retail customers to visit an RGB branch
- Generate positive media coverage
To help Amigos continue the fantastic work it does with young people in Uganda, RGB installed ‘drop zones’ in each of its branches, and encouraged customers and communities to donate hand and power tools that were no longer being used.
A press release tailored to each branch was distributed to the media local to every branch, announcing the launch of the appeal, and explaining how donations could benefit the people helped by the charity.
To target the wider trade network, press material was also sent to construction focused media outlets, which resulted in the charity being contacted by tradespeople from across the country, offering to donate tools directly to the charity.
Posters were displayed at each drop zone and bulk bags were used for the tools to be dropped into. Amigos volunteers then liaised with RGB branch managers to ensure collections were made when bulk bags were full.
Results of the campaign…
The campaign resonated with RGB customers, with some buying brand new tools from branches, in order to donate. The press material reached the communities local to RGB, and drove a number of retail customers to visit their local branch for the first time to donate to the appeal.
- 33 bulk bags filled with donated tools, equating to 6 tonnes
- 41 pieces of positive media coverage generated in newspapers, magazines, websites and radio stations local to RGB’s 20 branches, as well as in the construction trade media
- Value of media coverage achieved: £23,605.47
- Potential people reached as a result of the publicity campaign: 842,494
- Cost of the campaign: £4,200 (this is based on 30% of the PR fee being dedicated towards the Tools for Africa project over a period of June and July)
- ROI: 1,520%
- Sales across the RGB branch network were up by Â£257,000 during June and July when the Tools for African campaign ran, in comparison to the same period in 2018.
Testimonial from Phil Pugsley, Chief Executive at Amigos:
â€œThis was a fantastic campaign and we are so grateful both to RGB and its staff for the wonderful support they provided, but even more so to the generous customers who have given tools. The impact these tools will make in Africa is beyond measure. Everyone who supported the campaign has played a big part in changing many people’s lives, and for that we can’t thank them enough. During the RGB appeal there were occasions where those who had lost loved ones, and were unsure what to do with the tools they left behind, found comfort in donating them knowing the items will be used to make a real difference to those in need.